Monday, April 18, 2011

Needs to be said!

First, let me start by saying I LOVE all our fans. Truly and honestly, I have made a few really great friendships and have some very loyal customers due to BreezyBug!

That being said, there are a few things that need to be thrown out there. I hope to put this in the nicest way possible, but these are things weighing heavily on me at the moment.

I started BreezyBug back in August. I looked at all of my Breezy's clips and headbands and STILL could not find something to match 'that' outfit. Why not make them myself?! I was a teacher...creative and crafty at heart. Now I stay home with her and need an outlet for my crafty side. What better thing to do?

I went through a couple of giveaways where NO one did them. I was discouraged because why wouldn't people just simply comment to have a chance to win something for free! I kept at it. I researched. I tried new things. I failed at some. I watched tutorials and joined crafting blogs. I added my sister to the mix, and she brought a ton of new and exciting ideas. I sponsored many, many giveaways and I spent a countless amount of money on giveaways building my fan base. I spent HOURS AND HOURS making an Etsy page and retaking pictures of our products. I re-did facebook and all my albums. I spent more hours just making things the way I know I'd like to see them if I were a paying customer. We got tags and business cards. We *tried* to learn the best ways to ship our stuff. We had a party! We.did.a.lot.

Here is the point of telling you that. I did all of that on my own. I never once went on a more established page and promoted myself. Again, I spent a lot of money and a lot of time, and so do other pages. It is so easy to go on a page with 1000+ fans and just post on there, "hey, come check out my business everyone!" I give you MAJOR props for starting a business. It's hard, I know! I wish you the most success. But PLEASE respect that this is my business...it's my baby. I could have tried doing it the easy way, but that is not respectful to others who had worked hard to get to where they were. And when you have a business that is similar to mine, please understand that although I am sure your work is beautiful, you are still competitive to us. You wouldn't go in Verizon and see AT&T brochures, correct? Seriously, I do wish you luck. I hope you understand where I am coming from... *There are pages meant to JUST promote your business as well, by the way!!*

Finally, if you are a boutique (especially if you sell bows), please please please understand that we are all creative. We all make our own stuff. However, I could easily say aside from maybe fabrics, pretty much nothing is original. I, more than anyone, don't want to see my stuff get copied. But guess what? It happens, and will continue to happen! Even when i make something and say "goodness, this is really cool, I have never seen anything like this!" I really don't know that! There are a millllllion hair accessory boutiques. They are all unique in their own way. They all do things their own way. And if you think someone copied, even if it's hard to feel this way, take that as a good thing...you are inspiring!

****BE CONFIDENT IN YOUR OWN BUSINESS! BE CONFIDENT IN YOUR PRODUCTS! DO NOT WORRY ABOUT OTHER BOUTIQUES AND SHOPS! JUST DO YOUR THING AND DO IT WELL! I PROMISE IT IS NOT WORTH THE WORRY AND STRESS!

(Please remind me of this from time to time!) :)

I really hope I didn't come off as rude or mean, that was not my intention! It was just something that had to be said!

Thanks for reading!
<3 Courtney

6 comments:

  1. It's such a shame, because a lot of FB pages are having to say this a lot.. I'm so sorry, and kudos for saying it in such a loving and professional manner!! As a fan, i appreciate it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought Chels was with you when you had 10 fans haha...and I think she's still waiting on those "business cards" :) I feel you though, that would be very frustrating. Chels and you are too nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do not know you...although I won a beautiful Scentsy item through an auction on your page recently!!! :) Yay me!
    I just wanted to say that I feel your pain as do so many other small...medium and large companies. Unfortunately this is something that is not new nor going away anytime soon. :(
    Keep up your hard work that is all that really matters.
    This post is in no way offensive...you did a lovely job of getting the point across....And if anyone tries to tell you different.......as I tell my kids all of the time...they just need to "read their own mail" or "mind their own garden" ( hey!! I'm old...we have sayings) In other words....pay attention to your own business and play nice!
    **My daughter loves you...therefore I love you!
    Have an awesome week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It annoys me a bit as well, although, I've done it a few times to people that did it to me (and THEY had more fans!)
    I apologize if I've ever annoyed you two, I love your work and try my best not to copy ANYONE. If I ever do, you have my permission to come slap me (I think y'all have my address.......)

    ReplyDelete